Toxic Elements: Toxins in a Hospital Environment
Medical malpractice and personal injuries can happen in a number of ways, but one that isn’t talked about often is how toxic chemicals and materials could influence your health. Toxic substances could be in hospitals, at home, or anywhere; hospitals themselves have biohazard bins and disposal sections just to avoid contaminating patients.
As a patient or a worker in a hospital, consider the fact that you could be exposed to asbestos or other toxic elements. Asbestos, which is an insulator and fire retardant material used several decades ago, has been linked to illnesses like mesothelioma and asbestosis. Most facilities will have eliminated this risk by now, but if your hospital or facility has not had its insulation checked, those inside could be at risk of exposure.
Who is responsible for the well-being of those exposed to hazards? Typically, if you’re on an employer’s premises, it’s up to your employer to make sure you aren’t in harm’s way. If you’re a medical provider to a patient, it’s going to be your job to make sure the medications and materials you use to inject or work on patients aren’t harmful to the body. On top of this, the manufacturer of these products could be held liable for any injuries caused by toxic or harmful materials, whether that includes contaminated medications or needles with toxic lead in their tips.
Any of these toxic items can cause catastrophic injuries to patients and medical providers, making it important for everyone to be aware of the products being used. If you’ve been hurt, then you know that it’s important that you seek care right away to treat these serious side effects and the injuries you’ve suffered.