Did Your OB/GYN Endanger You and Your Child?
When the obstetrical health care system fails, babies often suffer serious birth injuries. In many situations, the mother’s health is endangered as well as the child’s. Lack of communication among caregivers, lack of understanding of complex medical issues related to pregnancy and birth, and the general inattentiveness of overworked nurses, technicians, and OB/GYN physicians (obstetricians and gynecologists) may all result in serious harm.
Experienced medical malpractice and birth injury attorney John A. Lancione is an aggressive, and highly knowledgeable advocate representing women, children and their families who have suffered due to OB/GYN malpractice in Ohio.
Specific instances of OB/GYN malpractice may include:
- Failure to diagnose a serious condition, such as tubal pregnancy, cervical cancer or breast cancer
- Gynecological surgery error and negligent post-surgical care, such as failure to address complications of hysterectomy
- Failure to have emergency protocols in place in the event that a cesarean section is required to rescue a fetus in distress, prevent brain damage or preserve the life of the mother
- Faulty handling of a baby whose shoulders have become lodged in the mother’s pelvis during delivery, resulting in brachial plexus injury and Erb’s palsy
- Misdiagnosis of risk factors indicated during the prenatal period, such as gestational diabetes, placental abruption or preeclampsia, that may result in fetal brain injury, cerebral palsy or death
- Overmedication or other medication errors during pregnancy or before or during labor
When OB/GYN Malpractice Results in Birth Injury, We Help Your Family
The task of a diligent birth injury lawyer is simply this: to help the injured infant and affected parents cope with the costs and challenges of care, therapy, and accommodations of a disability such as severe cerebral palsy.
Examples of the successes The Lancione Law Firm has achieved for families who suffered due to medical malpractice include the following:
- $7.5 million for a child who suffered severe brain damage as a result of mismanagement of fetal distress
- $5 million for a twin who was injured when umbilical cord prolapse occurred and the needed C-section delivery was unnecessarily delayed
- $3.75 million for a child and his family who suffered severe cerebral palsy when the obstetrician ignored obvious risk factors (maternal diabetes; overweight fetus) and failed to recommend C-section
- $2.6 million for a child who suffered severe brain damage after the obstetrician failed to respond to fetal distress during induced labor, as reported by nurses
- $1.1 million for a baby who developed Erb’s palsy as a result of a brachial plexus injury at birth resulting from the obstetrician’s failure to employ standard maneuvers known to be effective in relieving shoulder dystocia
Call Us If Mistakes Were Made in Your Care. Your Consultation Is Free
If you believe you, your child or another loved one suffered serious injury due to obstetric or gynecological malpractice anywhere in Ohio, call our offices in Cleveland at (440) 220-4439 today to discuss your legal options in a free consultation. You may also send us your information, and we will reach out to you.