Steps to Take if You Suspect Birth Injury
The birth of a child is one of the most celebrated and precious moments for a family to experience. The months, and perhaps years of anticipation, combined with the sheer struggle it takes to deliver a child, make this experience a momentous one. However, nothing is as tragically devastating for new parents as a birth injury that threatens the wellbeing of their newborn. No one plans for unforeseen circumstances to adversely impact the birth of their child, but the sad reality is that birth injuries are more common and more dangerous than you think. If you suspect your infant has been harmed during the birth process because of the negligence of a medical professional, there is no time to waste in taking the important steps to protect your child’s future.
We offer the following advice to navigate the aftermath of a suspected birth injury:
- Seek immediate medical attention for your baby. Nothing is as important as your child’s well-being, and many injuries unfortunately worsen the longer they are left untreated. Accurately diagnosing and treating these injuries is tremendously time-sensitive which is why it should be your priority. The steps you take will depend on the type and extent of your child’s injury, as it may be necessary for you to request the expertise of additional specialists, treatment, or testing.
- Enlist the services of an experienced and aggressive birth injury lawyer. If you hesitate to arm yourself with legal counsel, you will soon be contacted by the hospital’s insurance company, pressuring you into a hasty agreement with a minimal settlement amount. Many birth injuries necessitate lifelong treatment and care. Simply agreeing to a lackluster settlement will be a disservice to your child and their future needs.
- Get a second opinion. Though you may be wary to place your faith or trust in another physician, there is no harm in reaching out to someone with an alternative view of the situation. He or she may be able to provide you with further insight as to how the injury occurred.
- Collect all possible evidence to substantiate your concerns. This includes your child’s medical paperwork, everyday progress, and more. Report any abnormalities or misconduct to a healthcare provider. By documenting as meticulously as possible, you are only helping your claim down the line. Take notes daily in preparation for future litigation.
When Is The Hospital Responsible?
Unfortunately, some birth injuries are unavoidable due to extenuating circumstances, such as the mother’s health. However, medical negligence can quickly taint the joy of having a child. Common examples of medical negligence include and the improper use of forceps, providing the wrong medication, using too much for us to deliver the child, failing to discover a serious illness, etc. These and other reckless behaviors may potentially cause permanent disability, requiring lifelong care and support for the child. As a result, the newborn’s family is irrevocably damaged in countless ways: emotionally, physically, and financially.
The most dangerous birth injuries may result in the following types of consequences:
- Brain swelling or bleeding
- Facial nerve injury
- Skull fractures
- Brain damage
Seeking Justice & Successful Legal Care? Contact Our Eminent Birth Injury Lawyers Today
Birth injuries are deadly and only take a few seconds to occur. The Lancione Law Firm is utterly devoted to representing and advocating for the needs and rights of families who have suffered from the negligence of medical professionals. Our skilled and experienced birth injury attorneys are endlessly compassionate towards you and relentlessly focused on our pursuit of the compensation your family deserves.
To schedule an initial case evaluation, call us at 440.220.4439.