Getting hurt in the hospital is something that may seem counter intuitive;
you’re there to get help, not to be made worse. Unfortunately, sometimes
mistakes are made that doctors and anesthesiologists should know better
than to commit. In certain cases, you could speak with your attorney and
file an official claim for compensation due to your injuries.

That’s what this man has done; a mechanic has been awarded over $9
million in a medical malpractice lawsuit against a hospital that left
him so dehydrated that he suffered serious spinal cord damage. His story,
published on Oct. 17, reports that he went to the hospital for flu-like
symptoms. When he was there, the doctors and nurses started him on fluids
for dehydration, which should have been the primary concern.

While he was in the hospital, doctors found an injury, and they reportedly
told the man that they recommended surgery. Unfortunately, the man was
already very dehydrated, and his fluids were stopped when the anesthesia
was started before surgery. At that point, the man suffered a drop in
his blood pressure and also suffered due to his spinal cord receiving
an inadequate amount of blood and oxygen.

Now, the man has a spinal cord injury that has left him with some state
of paralysis. The courts agreed with him and his attorney, and he was
awarded $9.1 million in a medical malpractice lawsuit. The anesthesiology
practice still claims that the stop of fluids was not the cause of the
man’s injuries, despite knowing that he had been previously dehydrated
before the surgery began.