Experienced Ohio Medical Malpractice Lawyer
Our Cleveland law firm holds medical professionals accountable for their actions
Medical Malpractice attorneys understand the strong bond that exists between doctors and patients. We trust medical professionals to diagnose what’s wrong and to provide exceptional care when we’re sick or injured. Surgeons, doctors, nurses and other medical professionals must base their treatments on strict standards of care. These high standards are based on years of professional training, education and protocols established by qualified medical practitioners.
Unfortunately, some healthcare professionals break the bond that should exist between medical professionals and patients. Instead, they ignore well-established standards, resulting in a serious injury, illness or even a wrongful death in certain circumstances. When healthcare professionals deviate from standard treatments and a patient sustains an injury or illness, medical malpractice may be to blame. They should also be held accountable for their actions.
Patients who suffer such harm may be able to file a medical malpractice lawsuit against the doctor or healthcare facility that provided substandard care or ignored health or safety protocols. But proving that negligence occurred can be much more difficult than people might realize. This is because medical professionals – and their attorneys – often deny doing anything wrong.
When this happens, it’s critical that you have an experienced medical malpractice lawyer on your side who fully understands how the legal system works. You need someone who will stand up for your rights. You need The Lancione Law Firm in Rocky River near Cleveland working for you.
We want to earn your trust
Cleveland medical malpractice attorney John A. Lancione has the knowledge and the skills you need to take a stand against negligent professionals. Other lawyers throughout the country frequently refer medical malpractice cases to our law firm. They do so because they know we have a well-earned reputation for effectively resolving such complex legal cases nationwide.
What’s the secret to our success? We work hard to earn our clients’ trust. As your lawyer, we will do the same. You’ll notice the difference the first time you meet with attorney Lancione. He will personally listen while you tell him what happened in your own words. He will then explain your available legal options. That way, you can make informed decisions.
No two medical malpractice cases are ever the same. Neither is our approach. As your lawyer, attorney Lancione will personally create a detailed strategy designed to address your specific legal needs.
And that’s just the beginning. We will thoroughly investigate what happened. Our detailed approach often involves carefully reviewing medical records and consulting with experts in their field. And if you ever have a question or want to know more about the status of your case, you can call attorney Lancione directly anytime on his personal cellphone. We do things different at The Lancione Law Firm, LLC. We always put your best interests first.
Medical malpractice by the numbers
- 225,000 – Number of people who die each year nationwide due to medical malpractice.
- 3rd – Medical malpractice ranking among the most common causes of death nationwide.
- 34 percent – Number of malpractice cases due to misdiagnosis.
(Source: Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine)
Don’t become another statistic. Make sure you fully understand your rights and your legal options. Talk to a medical malpractice attorney as soon as possible at our Rocky River law firm.
The law firm you can count on in a crisis
Attorney Lancione has an AV Preeminent® Rating from Martindale-Hubbell®, the highest-possible peer rating from his fellow lawyers. Other attorneys also frequently refer malpractice cases to The Lancione Law Firm, LLC due to our extensive experience handling such complex legal cases.
A third-generation lawyer with more than three decades of experience, attorney Lancione founded our firm with his father with one simple goal – to provide exceptional legal guidance for families dealing with medical malpractice-related injuries or illnesses in Ohio and across the country. It’s all we do.
Since then, attorney Lancione and his dedicated legal team have earned a national reputation for successfully resolving complex medical malpractice cases. Overall, our Rocky River law firm has recovered more than $350 million and counting in settlements and verdicts for injury victims and their families. Our case results include:
- $17 million obtained for the family of a 9-year-old who sustained brain damage due to a doctor who failed to follow an attending physician’s orders.
- $14.2 million obtained by the family of a young girl who sustained brain damage due to a nurse who failed to follow hospital policy.
- $12.6 million obtained by the family of a young girl diagnosed with cerebral palsy due to a doctor who failed to notice warning signs of fetal distress.
While we are focused on results, we realize your case is about more than just money. It’s about holding medical professionals accountable for their actions. It’s about making sure such mistakes never happen again. It’s about justice.
What are medical malpractice cases?
Medical malpractice is an injury or illness that occurs due to a negligent act or omission by a medical professional or institution, such as a hospital. Such injuries and illnesses often occur for a variety of reasons, including:
- Misdiagnosis – Doctors need to follow strict standards, order specific tests, and interpret test results correctly when diagnosing an illness. When they fail to meet standards of care, they might misdiagnose a serious disease and lose valuable time that could have been better spent treating your illness or injury.
- Anesthesia errors – Anesthesia mistakes can cause disastrous injuries to patients if administered negligently. This is why anesthesiologists must undergo rigorous medical training. Otherwise, you or a loved one could sustain a life-altering injury due to an anesthesia error.
- Emergency room mistakes – In moments of crisis, medical professionals must still adhere to an established standard of care. This is especially true in hospital emergency rooms, which need to treat injury victims quickly and effectively. The slightest delay in treatment or other errors can have grave consequences.
- Cancer misdiagnosis – Doctors and other medical professionals need to diagnose cancer right away. Otherwise, they can lose precious time that could have been used to treat aggressive forms of cancers before they spread.
- Nursing malpractice – When nurses behave negligently, they can end up harming the patients they are meant to help. Whether it’s administering the wrong medication, failure to monitor or medical documentation errors, any one of these mistakes can cause serious harm.
- Prescription errors – Whether you’re dealing with serious side effects, a medication overdose or another medication error, we can help you hold medical professionals accountable for their actions. We can seek financial compensation on your behalf if a health care professional prescribed the wrong medication or dosage or if a prescription was filled incorrectly.
- Surgical errors – Even a minor surgical mistake can cause permanent injury or wrongful death. Negligent surgeons must be held accountable, especially if you or a loved one sustained a preventable injury due to negligence.
These are just some of the most common cases involving medical negligence and errors made by healthcare professionals. Other types of injuries, illnesses and legal cases involving malpractice are common. That’s why it’s important to talk with an experienced medical malpractice lawyer as soon as possible to fully understand your legal rights.
Who determines if malpractice occurred?
This might seem like a straightforward question. But the reality is there’s often a great deal of debate over whether a doctor, surgeon, nurse or another healthcare worker caused a patient’s injury or illness due to medical malpractice.
Often, the state medical board or another regulatory agency conducts such official investigations. In Ohio, allegations of negligence involving physicians and other healthcare professionals are conducted by the State Medical Board of Ohio, which has a formal complaint process. Negligence complaints involving certified nurses, RNs, LPNs, Certified Nurse Practitioners, Certified Nurse Midwives and Certified Nurse Anesthetists are investigated by the Ohio Board of Nursing.
However, such government agencies only decide whether malpractice occurred and if the board should take action regarding a medical professional’s license to practice medicine, including whether to revoke their medical license. They do not make rulings on financial compensation, malpractice lawsuits or other legal action.
In addition, the medical professional or institution accused of malpractice often conducts its own investigation. Such investigations are often conducted with the assistance of outside professionals, medical experts and insurance investigators. In most cases, the primary goal of such internal investigations is to defend their actions and to deny your claim. This is why it’s critical that you have an experienced medical malpractice attorney on your side conducting an in-depth investigation on your behalf.
What are my rights?
If you or a loved one sustained an injury or illness as a result of medical malpractice, you may be eligible to receive financial compensation for all your injury-related expenses. The state of Ohio has very strict rules and regulations regarding what constitutes a medical error or other types of medical malpractice. Many of these rules can be found in Ohio Revised Code, Section 2305.
But in order to build a successful legal case, you often need to provide evidence that a medical professional acted in an unethical or negligent manner. In addition, you only have a limited amount of time to take legal action. Otherwise, you may forfeit your right to seek financial compensation.
Such deadlines are known as statutes of limitations and can be very confusing. In Ohio, the statute of limitations for medical malpractice cases can vary from one year to four years or sometimes even longer, depending on whether Ohio Revised Code (ORC) § 2305.113(B) applies (which has a one-year deadline) or O.R.C. § 2305.113(C) applies (which has a four-year deadline due to Ohio’s Statute of Repose law). Only an attorney can tell you which deadlines apply in your situation.
Don’t try to tackle your tough case on your own. Put our extensive knowledge and legal expertise to work for you. We know the deadlines and other rules and regulations that apply to such complex cases. As your attorney, we can help you explore your options and take decisive action on your behalf.
How much is my claim worth?
The thought of recovering monetary damages after a serious injury or the loss of a loved one may seem simple. You also might not even be thinking about money during a difficult time. But it’s important to understand the significant financial impact that medical negligence can have on your life. By obtaining the money you rightfully deserve, you and your family can face the future in a more stable financial situation.
There’s no set dollar amount when it comes to malpractice cases. Each one needs to be carefully assessed and investigated to determine the true value of a claim. Some cases might be worth thousands of dollars. Others might be worth significantly more. The bottom line is you can and should be compensated for all past, present and future expenses related to your injury or illness.
Our Rocky River law firm can help you recover the financial compensation you need for medical bills, lost earnings, and future expenses. Such future expenses can include follow-up medical care, loss of future wages, and emotional trauma. You deserve full compensation. We can help you can hold the doctor, nurse or medical facility accountable for their actions.
Demand justice. Contact our Ohio medical malpractice law firm
We understand how overwhelming and upsetting malpractice cases can be for many people and their families. The barriers for justice can seem insurmountable, especially If you’re trying to hold a doctor, surgeon or hospital accountable.
Ohio attorney John Lancione can be your source of strength during your time of adversity. He understands how complicated such cases can be for many people. He’s familiar with the laws and the legal system. He also knows what it takes to win and he’s prepared to wage a long legal battle on your behalf.
Discover what our dedicated legal team can do for you. Contact us and schedule a free consultation at our Rocky River, Ohio law firm today. You can reach us online or call (440) 331-6100 or (877) 515-4369 to speak with Cleveland medical malpractice lawyer John A. Lancione. He’s on your side, every step of the way.