A postpartum injury, as the name suggests, is one that occurs after childbirth and can impact the baby and mother. After delivery, both mother and child are in a very vulnerable state, and negligence on the part of the doctor, delivery nurses, and/or medical team could result in serious, life-threatening injuries. If you were impacted by a postpartum medical condition because of a doctor or medical professional’s negligence, you have legal recourse to seek justice and financial compensation.
Contact us at The Lancione Law Firm to speak to our Cleveland postpartum medical lawyer. We can be reached at or you can contact us online for a swift response.
What Is Postpartum Negligence?
Common examples of postpartum medical negligence include:
- Medication errors: The doctor may administer the wrong dose of medicine, give the wrong medication, or administer a medication to which the patient is allergic.
- Failure to treat an existing condition in mother or infant: Babies may be born with jaundice, which requires specific incubation lights to treat. This includes anesthesia mistakes after birth.
- Failure to recognize a mother’s or infant’s distress: This may include a sudden illness, which could involve the mother’s placenta not being removed completely, which can lead to life-threatening sepsis (serious infection). Other examples are uterine rupture, postpartum hemorrhage, or eclampsia.
- Monitoring vital signs: If the mother or baby is in distress, such as having dangerously low or high blood pressure that medical personnel failed to address, you may have reason to file a postpartum negligence claim.
- Wound care: Common examples of negligent wound care include improper/insufficient attention to how a patient heals after a C-section, as well as improper care/attention when a woman tears her labia minora (the inner lips of the vagina) while giving birth, allowing it to become infected.
- Neonatal care for the newborn: A newborn must be carefully monitored in his/her first hours of life, and throughout the duration of their stay at the hospital.
Did You Suffer from Postpartum Negligence?
If you or your newborn experienced complications or harm from a doctor’s negligence after your baby was born, please call The Lancione Law Firm to speak to our Cleveland postpartum medical negligence attorney about pursuing justice.
If you were a victim of postpartum medical negligence and you’d like to discuss your case with an experienced lawyer, Without skilled legal representation on your side, proving postpartum medical negligence will be an uphill battle. We can help you work to prove that the doctor had a duty of care that s/he breached by their action or inaction.
At The Lancione Law Firm, we charge no fees unless you recover money from your lawsuit. Call us at (440) 220-4439 or contact us online for a quick reply.