Shoulder Injuries and Birth Injuries
Experienced Cleveland birth injury lawyer explains what you need to know
Infant shoulder injuries are among the most common birth injuries. But what many people might not realize is such birth injuries often occur due to negligence and mistakes made by doctors, obstetricians and other medical professionals.
When this happens, it’s critical that parents fully understand their rights and the legal options available to them. In particular, your family may be eligible to receive financial compensation for medical bills and other injury-related expenses.
However, actually getting the money can be much more difficult than many people might realize. That’s because the at-fault healthcare professionals and institutions often simply defend their actions and deny doing anything wrong.
In such situations, you can count on Ohio birth injury attorney John A. Lancione and his legal team at The Lancione Law Firm to fight for your family’s rights every step of the way. An award-winning lawyer with a national reputation for successfully handling birth injury claims, attorney Lancione knows what to do and can work with you to build the strongest possible legal case.
What are common infant shoulder injuries?
Shoulder injuries sustained by infants often occur during pregnancy or during the baby’s delivery. Common infant shoulder injuries include:
- Brachial plexus – This type of shoulder injury involves nerve damage that can affect an infant’s ability to move their shoulder. Such injuries often occur during a newborn’s delivery.
- Shoulder dystocia – This type of birth injury also occurs during the infant’s delivery. After the baby’s head is delivered, the shoulders get stuck inside the mother, preventing the rest of the baby’s body from getting out.
- Shoulder fracture – Broken shoulder bones are common injuries, especially during a baby’s delivery due to medical negligence.
- Fractured collarbone – A broken collarbone is another common birth injury. Sometimes referred to as a clavicle fracture, such injuries often occur due to mistakes made by medical professionals during an infant’s delivery.
In each case, parents need to pay attention to the symptoms and warning signs of such serious injuries. If you suspect that your child has a shoulder injury, seek immediate medical attention. Then talk to us. We can help.
How does medical negligence play a role?
Negligence and medical errors often cause infant shoulder injuries. This is because some medical professionals ignore the warning signs and risk factors often associated with such injuries, or because they make preventable errors during the birthing process itself. Examples include:
- Doctor fails to notice the baby is larger than normal during a woman’s pregnancy, which can often result in a shoulder injury during the delivery process.
- Obstetrician misuses forceps or extractors during a newborn’s delivery, resulting in a shoulder injury.
- Doctor doesn’t take into consideration maternal risk factors during a woman’s pregnancy or the baby’s delivery, increasing the likelihood of a shoulder injury.
These are just some of the different ways mistakes made by medical professionals can result in serious infant shoulder injuries. When this happens, it’s important for parents to fully understand their rights. That’s why it’s critical that you talk to an experienced birth injury lawyer right away.
Hold medical professionals accountable for their actions. Contact us
You might think you don’t need a lawyer if a medical professional made a mistake that resulted in your baby’s shoulder injury. Unfortunately, many doctors and other healthcare professionals rarely admit they did anything wrong. Instead, they often hire an entire team of attorneys to defend their actions and deny your injury claim.
We know how to deal with such complex legal situations. That’s because The Lancione Law Firm has been focusing on birth injury cases for decades. As a result, Cleveland birth injury attorney John A. Lancione knows what to do and how to find the evidence needed to build the strongest possible legal case.
Put your trust in the Ohio law firm that puts your family’s needs first. Contact us and schedule a free consultation at our Rocky River, Ohio law firm. You can reach us online or call (440) 331-6100 or (877) 515-4369 to speak with an Ohio birth injury lawyer you can count on in a crisis – John A. Lancione.