Maternal Death Attorney
Rely on our Ohio law firm to handle your family’s wrongful death case
When a woman dies while she’s pregnant or delivering her baby, that’s known as a maternal death. An estimated 20 out of 100,000 women die each year due to complications involving a pregnancy, according to maternal mortality rates compiled by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).
What people might not realize is many maternal deaths could have been prevented. That’s because such deaths are often due to negligence and medical malpractice. When that happens, the at-fault medical professional should be held accountable for their actions.
Cleveland wrongful death attorney John A. Lancione has decades of experience handling such complex legal cases in Ohio. Because he focuses on medical negligence cases, he has an in-depth understanding of how the legal system works when it comes to such wrongful death claims. That’s why other lawyers regularly refer such legal cases to The Lancione Law Firm. We have a well-earned reputation for doing the job right.
What are common causes of maternal death?
Women often die due to medical complications involving their pregnancy or their child’s delivery, including:
- Serious infections, including sepsis.
- Excessive bleeding, either during the pregnancy or the delivery process. Excessive bleeding can occur for many reasons, including:
- A tear in the uterus, including a uterine rupture.
- Complications due to a cesarean section (C-section) error.
- Medical complications due to a serious medical condition involving the mother, including high blood pressure (preeclampsia) or gestational diabetes.
These are just some of the reasons why pregnant women die before, during or shortly after the birth of their child. Each situation is different and demands a thorough investigation. That’s why it’s critical that you have an experienced attorney on your side, searching for evidence in support of your legal claim.
How does negligence play a role?
Healthcare professionals, especially obstetricians and gynecologists (OB/GYNs), undergo years of rigorous training in order to properly care for pregnant women. They need to follow standard medical protocols and accepted standards of care when caring for pregnant women. Otherwise, a fatal injury or illness can occur due to negligence. Examples of OB/GYN malpractice that result in a woman’s death include:
- Not taking a woman’s pre-existing medical history into consideration during her pregnancy, resulting in a fatal injury or illness.
- Not taking maternal risk factors seriously during a woman’s pregnancy.
- Not conducting standard medical tests during a woman’s pregnancy.
- Misreading medical test results.
- Misdiagnosing a woman’s medical condition during her pregnancy.
- Not performing a life-saving medical procedure in a timely manner, including an emergency C-section.
- Unsanitary conditions, resulting in a hospital infection, especially during the delivery process.
OB/GYNs aren’t the only ones to blame. Other medical professionals, including nurses, anesthesiologists and other doctors, also sometimes make mistakes that result in a pregnant woman’s death. Whatever the circumstances, you can count on The Lancione Law Firm to be there for your family throughout your legal case, no matter how long it takes.
You have rights. Our law firm can fight for them. Contact us
The stakes are high when it comes to maternal death claims. Your case could be worth thousands of dollars or significantly more depending on the circumstances of your case.
This is why medical professionals, hospitals or whoever’s to blame often deny doing anything wrong and hire an attorney to defend their actions. This is why you need our legal team on your side.
We can work with you to build a strong legal case in support of your wrongful death claim. Ohio wrongful death lawyer John A. Lancione knows the law and understands how to build a strong legal case. When you have our law firm on your side, you can take an aggressive approach. We can help you demand the money your family rightfully deserves. We can help you hold medical professionals accountable for their actions.
We understand how upsetting such cases can be for families. That’s why we want to help. Contact us and schedule a free consultation with Cleveland wrongful death attorney John A. Lancione. You can reach us online or call (440) 331-6100 or (877) 515-4369 to start your legal journey with The Lancione Law Firm. You can count on us.